Cooper Landing

Cooper Landing is at the west end of Kenai Lake on a stretch of the Sterling Highway, 3 miles northwest of Seward in the Chugach Mountains. It lies at approximately 6d 29m N Latitude, 149d 5m W Longitude (Sec. 29, T5N, R3W, Seward Meridian). Cooper Landing is located in the Seward Recording District. The area encompasses 55 sq. miles of land and 5 sq. miles of water. January temperatures range from 4 to 22; July temperatures vary from 46 to 65. Average annual precipitation is 2 inches.

Between 1848 and 1851, Russian engineer P. Doroshin found gold in the area. Cooper Landing was named for Joseph Cooper, a miner who discovered gold here in 1884. Cooper Creek was first recorded in 1898 by the U.S. Geological Survey. In 19, the Census found 21 miners and 1 wife living at Cooper Creek. The Riddiford Post Office began operations in 1924, and the Riddiford School opened in 1928. In 1938, a road was constructed to Seward. In 1948, a road to Kenai was opened, and by 1951, residents could drive to Anchorage. The Cooper Landing Community Club was first formed in 1949. The Cooper Lake Hydroelectric Facility was constructed in 1959-6.

Links
Jobs
Coming Soon ...

Map of Cooper Landing
Regions of Alaska
northern southeast southwest interior southcentral